Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Working Out On The Beach

I just got back from a trip to Hawaii with my soccer team where we competed in a tournament with local teams. While I was there this past week I had many new experiences, one of which was a beach workout.

My team did plyometrics on the beach to improve our strength. That means we did specific exercises to strengthen our leg muscles and our cores. Then we went for a run along the shore. Have you ever run at the beach? If you have, you know how hard it is because of all the sand. It takes extra effort to run at the beach and is hard on your legs. That workout was one of the hardest workouts I have ever done even though it was a comparably short distance to my usual runs. At the end of our beach workout everyone on my team was exhausted. My legs felt wobbly and like they were going to give out at any moment. I was so tired and I had to take deep, long breaths. Thankfully, there is a plus side to working out on the beach in Hawaii – the ocean is only feet away! Also, the water is the perfect temperature – warm but still refreshing and cooling on a hot day or after a hard workout. We took advantage of being at a Hawaiian beach and went swimming right after our workout to relax and cool down.

Comment below and tell me about workouts you have done or interesting places you have done them.

No comments: