Thursday, July 10, 2008

Friends On And Off The Court

Former Stanford basketball player Brook Lopez and former Cal basketball player Ryan Anderson now both play for the New Jersey Nets. Because of the schools they attended, Lopez and Anderson used to be rivals, but now that they are playing for the same team they have become friends. They were both chosen during the first round of the NBA draft and have found that they work well together on the court.

Even though sports are competitive and rivalries are formed, I find that they are a great way to make new friends. When I started high school I didn’t know anybody at my new school and I was really nervous. I joined the school’s soccer and track teams and that helped me make lots of new friends with people I wouldn’t have met if I didn’t play soccer and run track.

I also met many of my closest friends through my soccer team (outside of school) that I have remained friends with for a very long time. I am going to Hawaii with that soccer team next week to play in a soccer tournament but it will also be like a vacation since I am friends with everyone on my team. Being on a sports team outside of school allows you to stay in touch with your friends that don’t go to school with you anymore. For example, my dance class is in a different city so all the people in it don’t live near me or go to school with me but we still stay in touch through dance classes.

Have you ever made any friends through sports? What do you think about sports teams rivalries? Comment below and share your experiences and thoughts with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.