Friday, July 25, 2008

Back Down to Earth

Every team in the National Football League is at least a month away from its first practice game of the 2008-09 season, but I think right now is the most exciting time for pro football fans all over the country. I know I’m excited, because right now football players have come back down to earth.

No, I don’t mean that football players have been playing in space, of course. But in the “training camp” part of the football season, players aren’t playing in huge cities, in expensive stadiums hundreds of miles from you, the fans. In fact, most teams are practicing at small colleges or stadiums in the towns near the big cities where they play, which lets more people catch a piece of the action live, instead of just on television.

One team I’m really excited about is the San Francisco 49ers. They’re my favorite team and, given where I live, the home team. Normally, to catch a game, and see great players like running back Frank Gore, I’d have to take an hour-long train ride into the big city. But now, in the lazy days of summer, the Niners are playing just down the highway in Santa Clara, about 20 minutes away from me. They’re so close, in fact, that I’ll be able to watch one of their training camps later this week and maybe even ask a few players for autographs. At the very least, I get to see how my team is shaping up for the season.

In this era, where football players and other athletes are such big stars, fans rarely get a chance to be part of the team, besides paying expensive ticket prices. Training camp is one of those great chances fans get to make memories with the hometown squad.

What’s your favorite football team and do you plan to see their training camp practices? Tell us all about your favorite parts of the camp workouts!

No comments: