Saturday, July 26, 2008

Staying Up with Sports

So, everyone’s got their game, the sport they love and have practiced at and are good at because they’ve worked on developing their skills to an awesome level. But what about other sports? And what about still being a part of sports even after you’re out of your playing days? What’s an athlete do to keep up with the fun and games that make up competition after the adrenaline stops pumping.

After I ran four years of cross country and track in high school, I decided I wanted sports to be a major part of my life. I knew I could still run for teams around town, but I wanted even more. So I looked for ways to follow sports, even if I wasn’t doing them. I wrote for the sports section of my high school’s online newspaper and even got a job selling sports equipment for the summer.

Both things I did have been a lot of fun, mostly because they helped me stay around the athletes and the games I grew up loving, plus they have helped me learn about new ones. When I started writing for the school paper, I first got assigned to cover the water polo team. It was a sport I’d never heard of and knew nothing about, but that made me even more determined to learn it. I studied water polo harder than I studied for school! Eventually, I got to know the game and was able to write about it well, and that felt really exciting because I was now able to say I learned something that I really wanted to know.

Is there a sport you’ve learned about or would like to know more about? What are you doing to study that sport or stay involved with others? Tell us all about them so that we can help you learn with what we know!

No comments: