Friday, July 25, 2008

Inspiring Sports Figures


Many people play sports because of inspiring coaches, players, or parents. Of course a love for the game is necessary, but having a sports idol often times encourages a person to continue playing the sport. A sports figure that I find very inspiring is my dance teacher. I admire her qualities both as a person and as a dancer, and she has inspired me to continue dancing.

When I was six years old, my mother signed me up for dance classes and I went because she told me to. The years passed and going to dance class became more of a personal decision for me – I no longer went because my mother wanted me to but because I wanted to go. My dance teacher always expected us to practice well and come to class prepared. She helped me develop as a person and was an inspiration to me.

When I used to watch my dance teacher dance, I was amazed at her skill. Not only did I admire her for her dancing but for her other qualities. Her poise, self confidence and put-together manner were all qualitites I aspired to have. I think that dancing played a role in her developing those characteristics and I have found that dance has taught me to become more self confident.

Who got you into sports and inspired you to play? Do you have a sports idol – it can be someone famous, a coach or teacher, or even a parent - or someone that you admire?

No comments: