Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Big One

Tomorrow is the Big One. At least, it’s the Big One for me. Tomorrow, I am going to take an important step in my training for a half-marathon (13-mile) race that I am going to run in early October. I’m going to run my longest run of the summer, about nine miles. For me this is a big step toward an important goal that I’ve been working toward for a long time now. For me, those steps in that kind of hard work are a big part of sports.

Really, it’s moments like tomorrow morning that athletes live for. When you’re really set on a goal for how fast you’ll run, how well you’ll hit or throw or shoot for a score. I am not really nervous about tomorrow morning. I’m breathing a little faster, sitting a little straighter and lost in a little more thought tonight because I can’t wait to get to work on knocking down this next goal. I know I’m ready.

And in truth, it’s moments like those that make sports so incredible that so many people are drawn to watch them. These moments are few and far between in sports, even among the professionals. Some great moments are pure luck—a sheer accident of bat striking ball, ball gliding through hoop or kick spinning through the goal posts. Others, the ones that happen so often that they make an athlete great (like basketball’s Lebron James or football’s Jason Taylor) , are the ones that come from the skill built up by hard work and those are the true thrillers.

What are you working on as an athlete? How long have you been practicing to make the perfect play? Tell us all about it so we can root you on!

No comments: