Monday, June 30, 2008

Hurdling Over Obstacles

Dayron Robles of Cuba ran a new world record of 12.87 seconds for the 110 meter hurdle race at the IAAF Grand Pri. The previous record holder was Liu Xiang of China who will be competing alongside Robles during the Beijing Olympics. Xiang’s record was 12.88 seconds and had been the world record between July 11, 2006 and June 12, 2008 when Robles broke it.

I started running hurdles 3 years ago at my school during track season. The first time I had to jump over a hurdle I was a little scared because it looked really high and I didn’t want to hit it and fall. Even though I was afraid that I might get hurt, I decided to give it a try because it looked really exciting and fun. I’m really glad I decided to try it because now I love hurdling and I don’t find it scary anymore. Sometimes I do hit the hurdle and fall but it is part of the sport and it doesn’t discourage me.


Have you ever tried a sport that seemed scary to you? Comment below and tell me a time when you overcame any difficulties while playing a sport.

No comments: